I know this first hand. I have fought against a low self-esteem my whole life. My mother remarried my adopted dad who adored me and I adored him. We still do. But he suffered from Animal Removal Melbourne FL issues too, and he took it out on my Mom, my sister and me. We were called”stupid”,”dump””idiots” for the majority of my adolescent years. As a big kid, I suffered many days on the playground by being known as,”fat Matt”. Odds are you have had similar unfortunate experiences.
However, you MUST overcome these cut downs and develop a positive self-esteem and self-image or achievement will always elude you. It is the confidence we rely on to keep on keepin’ on. Unfortunately, many individuals never really master building or rebuilding their self-esteem. Here are a few tips I have used that will let you get yours built back up.
1. It is not a curse… it is a blessing. Use the negative experiences you’ve faced as fuel to reconstruct your self-esteem. Drop the blame, and don’t forget the times when you were beat down as strong. Prove your doubters wrong, don’t let them be proven right.
2. When you are a master of something, it generates confidence. The important thing is to master something, anything. Learn to hit a golf ball 400 yards. Learn to play with Billy Joel songs on the piano. Get in tip top shape via exercising. Become a top notch cold caller in your sales career. Anything that demonstrates that you took the time to concentrate on it, skill up, and therefore master it.
3. Do more of what you fear. Repetition is the mother of skill and the more reps you can take the more you bury the fear and move closer to mastery the better. You need to take lots of swings . If you’re terrified of talking, do more talking. If you can not make a cold call, do more cold calls. Think of this like my buddy Grant Cardone suggests in his book THE 10X RULE. Do everything using a factor of 10X to it.
4. Leverage your command . Place yourself in locations and situations for your mastery to glow. If you have mastered hitting a golf ball 400 years, then register for the business or business golf tournament. You know that if you arrive on the first tee , you will hit the ball further than anyone, and others will be astounded. Therefore, your mastery will put you in a course to your self, and people will want to be around you and encourage you to be on their team. When you start a new job on the sales floor, be the person who can bang out 100 cold calls without blinking an eye. This will separate you one from the competition, and you will be looked at as a master. Sit at the piano when you’re having drinks with clients and start playing Piano Man. Your customers will be impressed, and your self-esteem issue will go out the window. Invite your new date to the gym with you and allow them to see how many pull ups you can do and they too will be impressed. Your mastery must be utilised as constant fuel for one to continue to construct or rebuild your self-esteem. Getting great at something provides you the confidence to find great at anything else.
5. Help somebody else. It’s sad that so many people who are in a position to help whether it’s a coach, a co-worker or maybe a parent, do not take more time to recognize self-esteem issues in others. Be that person, be the individual that helps.
The subject of self-esteem is vital to your success. For some, the building or rebuilding process can be carried out quickly. For others, like me, it takes quite a long time. But in any event, nothing is more worth the effort.